Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Somewhere or Nowhere? (Psalm 119)

I'm feeling terrible--I couldn't feel worse! Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?
My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word.
Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; . . .I choose the true road to Somewhere.
(Psalm 119:25,28-30, MSG)

My apologies for yesterday's post. I couldn't get back to the post I had started. Lesson learned; I won't close this one until I finish it.

These verses from Psalm 119 (the Psalm is so long that it's divided in the read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year schedule!)sounded exactly like how I've been feeling most of this past week. I felt terrible. My leg was giving me nonstop pain, and it escalated quickly into cramps and piercing, scream-at-the-top-of-my-lungs pain. On top of that, my stomach hurt to the point where I wondered if I was developing another bowel obstruction. And other more personal things, plus a few pimples in strange places (my big toe?!)

A falling-down barn? That describes my health this past week.

And the road that goes nowhere describes how I felt on my birthday three weeks ago. Marooned in a nursing home, limited to what I can on a computer, my road had dead-ended and world felt very limited.

But a friend challenged me to a new ministry. I'll share it here. And I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

This friend said I should have a blog/website from the point of view of a nursing home resident. Both to encourage other residents, but also to raise awareness, understanding, compassion among outsiders. Perhaps to write a serial novel set in a nursing home.

But anything I've attempted to do in nonfiction struggles along--even this blog. I am uniquely gifted to have a blog like that, but . . . will anyone want to read it?

In any case, I choose the true road that leaves to Somewhere. Somewhere in God's will is better than anywhere else.

Today's favorite verse: You are good, and the source of good; train me in your goodness. (Psalm 119:68, MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment