Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Thursday, May 23, 2013

THE OTHER GIANT KILLERS (1 Chronicles 20)

Goliath wasn't the only giant in ancient Canaan.

He had four  brothers (or relatives)--the explanation, I've heard, for "Why did David carry five sling shots?"

Killing Goliath earned David national fame and the hearts of the people. That catapulted the unknown shepherd from Bethlehem to a candidate for man of the year.

As is the nature of such things, it didn't take long for giant-killing to become tame. By the time four other men repeated David's feat (although not with a sling shot, mind you), all they earned was a footnote in the Bible, a position of honor but not leadership.

Sibbecai killed Sippai of the "clean of the giants."  We're not even told how, except we know that Sibbecai was one of the mighty 30. He probably fought on the front line. An ordinary day turned into the day he became a giant killer.

Elhanan killed Lahmi, Goliath's brother. Elhanan wasn't one of the 30; that Elhanan was the son of Dodo, but Elhanan the giant-killer was the son of Jair. Not as much was expected of him--any more than they expect any good from the young David--but he came through.

David's nephew Shimea killed an unnamed giant with six fingers and six toes on each hand and foot. Perhaps family expectations played a role, but none of David's other relatives repeated his feat.

Wow, I feel a lot of this myself.

  • David's faith inspired faith in others.  Faith gave courage to doubt-filled hearts.
  • What is considered a miracle today will be considered ordinary tomorrow. I may repeat someone else's recipe for success and even succeed, but I am unlikely to receive as much recognition.
  • Another reminder--since it is a common problem for me--that I shouldn't compare myself to others as a writer. Any area, of course, but I am keenly aware of the temptation as a writer.
  • Any day may become a "giant-killing" day.
  • Any person may be called upon to kill a giant.
  • These men succeeded because--they showed up for work. We never know when those God-created opportunities will arise. They often happen on the days I feel the worst, and God forces me to minister to others--or ignore the clear calling God has placed on me.
Fought any giants lately?  I guess hospitalization and bedrest count for me. 





1 comment:

  1. God bless you Have a giant-killing day or a productive memorable one
    Chris

    ReplyDelete