Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

WRITE ON: FINDING MY VOICE (Exodus 37-38, Matthew 23)

Everything I read today hit me straight in my writer's heart. So I will share what God had to say to me, and trust the Holy Spirit to apply it to your situation as well. 


  •  He also prepared with the art of a perfumer. . . (Exodus 37:29). The "he" referred to is Bezelel. He was a goldsmith and a craftsman of many arts.  I suspect he had never made a perfume before. But as part of his calling regarding the Tabernacle, he had to make the anointing oil. Application: I consider myself a fiction writer who is now called to write nonfiction as well. Not as different as working with perfume vs. gold, but different skills. But the God who called me will also supply me with the "art" to do it.
  • the women’s work group who were assigned to serve at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. (Exodus 38:8) Who were these women? Are they mentioned anywhere else? Anonymous yet their service was essential for the smooth running of worship. Application: For the most part, I am one of the group of anonymous workers who write Christian fiction. In other words, I'm not a household name. And I a woman, drawing near to the temple of biblical exegesis which has long been a man's stronghold.
  • Instead of giving you God’s Law as food and drink by which you can banquet on God, they package it in bundles of rules (Matthew 23:4)  Jesus denounced the Pharisees for not handling God's word as sustaining food and drink. Application: I have called this blog "My Daily Nibble"--my calling is to find the bread in the Bible, in familiar stories and in obscure laws.
  • If you’re content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty (Matthew 23:12).  No explanation needed here. And wow! I struggle with finding my "voice" in nonfiction. My natural style doesn't feel "right" to my Bible-college-and-seminary trained mind. Earlier in the passage, Jesus mentioned "reverends and doctors."  He doesn't want me to try to write like the scholars. My best writing will come as I am simply myself.
Today I found a feast!  I hope you enjoy it with me. 

5 comments:

  1. Wise words, Darlene. I can never be what God has called me to be if I'm so busy trying to be somebody else. His plans for me are unique, as are his plans for all of us. If we try to find them in someone else's story, we'll get lost every time.

    Thanks for the encouragement today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Robin! I have a personal theory that it takes all our individual voices to add up to God's mighty voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darlene, your posting today was something I needed to hear. A reminder that it is God's will for me that I want to follow and not my own. Thank you!

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this! I really needed to hear this and understand that I just need to follow God's direction and not try to emulate other peoples writings and styles. God has given me my own style and I need to look for God's leading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, Susan, So glad God used this to speak to both of you. Me too. I think we all need that reminder from time to time. We try to emulate another person's success, but that isn't God's plan for us.

    ReplyDelete