Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Monday, August 5, 2013

GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE (Psalm 68)



…or Elvis…or Laura Ingalls Wilder. Whoever your heroes are, it’s exciting to visit their birthplaces and later homes. On one trip from Pennsylvania to Texas, my husband and I sidetracked to Laura’s Missouri home, and I saw the lined tablets on which she handwrote the Little House books. There was nothing special about her modest home—not like the houses I covet while watching House Hunters on HGTV. Because a favorite author had lived there, the house’s status increased.

Mount Bashan, majestic mountain,
Mount Bashan, rugged mountain,
why gaze in envy, you rugged mountain,
at the mountain where God chooses to reign,
where the Lord himself will dwell forever? Psalm 68:15 – 16, NIV

            The hills of Bashan, east of the Sea of Galilee, are remarkable for their height, according to www.blueletterbible.org. They are known today as the Golan Heights, but I can’t find an exact height for the Heights. Mt. Zion is 2,510 feet, according to Wikipedia, and seems to be a hill in already elevated Jerusalem, the location of the ancient Temple, and today the Temple Mount.

            The point is, if you were choosing a mountain based on height and majesty, Bashan would win over Mt. Zion. But in this psalm, Bashan is green with envy because God chose Zion. YHWH, the God who revealed himself as I AM to the Hebrew people, lives on Zion. Forever. Bashan’s got nothing to compare.

            When I’m feeling as insignificant as a little bump surrounding by huge peaks, this psalm assures me that God’s presence in my life gives me significance and value. God is not looking for a fancy schmancy house, just a house with an open door.

 You huge mountains, Bashan mountains, mighty mountains, dragon mountains.
All you mountains not chosen,sulk now, and feel sorry for yourselves,
For this is the mountain God has chosen to live on;
  he’ll rule from this mountain forever. Psalm 68:15 - 16, The Message


This is Roberta writing today. Visit me at www.robertabrosius.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Nibble
    I went a bit farther in my thoughts
    Am i very contented with my Old Trailer or Do I covet more.....
    God bless u
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contentment is often a struggle for me. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Another good one, Roberta! I appreciate your insight into Mt. Zion vs. Bashan. God uses the weak and small things of this world . . .

    ReplyDelete