Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MONEY MANAGEMENT (2 Kings 4)

I would rather not touch today's topic. Not because it's too difficult; but because it's an area I have struggled with.

DEBT

Tucked into the middle of all kinds of miracles that proved Elisha had a double portion of Elijah's spirit we find the story of the widow of one of the guild of the prophets.

Debt Indenture
Ah, but this prophet had a bad habit. He died broke, in debt, unprepared. The debt was so great that the debtor was going to claim her two sons as slaves.

This might not have been so bad for the boys, providing the slave owner followed the law. They would be released after six years. They couldn't be mistreated. They would have worked, but they would have been provided for.

But the poor woman--and her sons--faced with losing both husband father, mother and home, all in a matter of days.  My heart goes out to her. A tragedy beyond comprehension.

All because the father didn't manage his financial affairs properly.  Ouch. Neither have I.

Looking at the father's debt, Elisha's final words to the widow take on new meaning:

Sell the oil. Make good on your debts. Live, both you and your sons, on what is left. (2 Kings 4:7, MSG)

Collect your resources. Pay your debts first. Then come up with a plan on how to live on the remainder of the money. Unstated is the implication: don't get into debt again.

I can't change the past. But I can try to learn to live on what is left.

I have several measure struggle areas. Money is one of them. We all have have areas like that.

And I suspect that money management is a problem area for a lot more people than me.

Provide for my family after my death--first of all--financially. 


The same principle applies in other areas as well. Think on it. What can you do to better prepare your family for your death or illness?

Let's do it before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment