Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TAKE COURAGE (Deuteronomy 34 - Joshua 2)

Joshua's knees were shaking.

That's the feeling I get as I read the first chapter of Joshua. He clearly had a hero worship for Moses (in describing him after his death, he said Moses' eyes were still clear and he walked. He pointed out that no other prophet knew God face to face like Moses.

Joshua was no slouch. He had been there from the time they left Egypt. He and Caleb came back from spying the land excited, ready to march to war. He went with Moses at least partway up the mountain.

And when God named Moses's successor, He called Joshua.

Still, Joshua quaked. Twice God admonished him, "Strength! Courage!" The people of Israel demanded the same thing, when they agreed to follow him.

How hard it must have been to lead, following in a giant's shoes. Harry Truman must have felt when taking over from FDR.  He originated the phrase, "the buck stops here," but Joshua would have agreed.

Called to lead, doubting his ability, Joshua needed something from God. And God delivered.

In chapter two, the Israelites crossed the Jordan River on dry ground. Anyone remember the Red Sea?


Courage Personified
But before that, God gave Joshua a promise.

  • I won't give up on you. 
  • I won't leave you.
  • You are going to lead this people to inherit the land.
God trusted Joshua to finish the job.
God remained with Joshua. He didn't abandon him to do it alone.
The job of leading God's people belonged to Joshua--whether he wanted it or not. 

I love those three promises. At the moment, I'm struggling a bit with insecurity about my writing, longing for some concrete confirmation that God still has grand things ahead for me. (I'm hopeless. I've written twenty-five books. Why do I remain so frightened? Ask my fellow authors. I know I'm not alone.)

Strength of heart not of body
God won't give up on me. If He gives me something to do, He'll make it possible for me to do it. (Not saying it will be easy.).  He won't get up and leave midway through the process.  He'll be with me unto death and beyond. And whether I want to write or not--for now it's God's job for me. I can't escape Him or my calling. So, strength! Courage! The tangible confirmation will come, eventually. But for--God says to gather my strength and courage and get to work.

Whatever call God has made on your life--He makes those same three promises to you. 

So--strength! courage! Get going. 


1 comment:

  1. Praying for strength and courage for you dear friend!

    Blessings,
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete