Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Thursday, March 21, 2013

OUTSIDE/INSIDE (Deuteronomy 9; Luke 1)

I didn't plan on discussing today's New Testament reading. I'm focusing on the Old Testament in the devotionals, and the two stories couldn't seem more different.

The Gibeonites deceived the Israelites into making a treaty.

The angel told Mary that she would give birth to the Messiah.

But I didn't have to meditate long before their connection became apparent.
  • The Israelites made a snap decision based on their first impressions, what they saw on the outside of the Gibeonites.
  • God saw that Mary was beautiful on the inside, and chose her to be the mother of His Son.
God always sees what is on the inside. He is the only One who sees everything on the inside, which is why, when we want to know the real truth, we should pray.

The story about the Gibeonites contains some of the saddest words in the Bible: "But they didn't ask God about it." (Joshua 9:14)

I couldn't help but think about my recent disastrous relationship. I looked at Rob (not his name) and accepted the evidence. He was thoughtful and generous. He would get assistance for me when I needed it, carry messages to the kitchen for me, buy items for me at the store. He was intelligent, a former city planner. He was a musician, one with a music scholarship to college. He was spiritual, with a clear understanding of salvation. 

So when he proclaimed his love to me, I responded in kind. 

Unlike Israel and the Gibeonites, I did ask God about it. Stop this before it goes too far. If this isn't Your will. . .God answered that prayer. I learned that Rob was married though separated, and dropped the relationship. 

I don't share this for you to say "oh, poor Darlene." (or even, oh, naive Darlene. :)  ) I share it to point out the importance of confirming the truth behind our first impressions before we make decisions. 

"The men of Israel looked them over and accepted the evidence."  That part of the verse makes me think of scientists, who only trust evidence they can duplicate a lab. Many don't believe in God and close themselves off from the truth behind the evidence of the five senses.

Look, examine . . . and pray for eyes to see beyond the surface.

2 comments:

  1. re: Unlike Israel and the Gibeonites, I did ask God about it. Stop this before it goes too far. If this isn't Your will. . .God answered that prayer. I learned that Rob was married though separated, and dropped the relationship.

    yes - this is something I have done a few times myself since I got saved! I have a real love/hate relationship w/ God's answers lol... I am thankful He spared me but a little resentful that this was not "it," but I can get over that. It's a lot more painful to get over something that God did not intend, but I pursued anyway (all the while plugging my ears)

    ReplyDelete