Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

THE GOLDEN RULE FOR ENEMIES (Exodus 23)

I've about decided that after God gets to the 10 Commandments in Exodus 20, He turns downright meddlesome.

I don't care for what He had to say today much at all: If you find your enemy's ox or donkey loose, take it back to him.  If you see the donkey of someone who hates you lying helpless under its load, don’t walk off and leave it. Help it up. (Exodus 23:5, MSG)

Not someone you hate, but someone who hates you. It takes the golden rule to a whole different level. "Do unto others--even the ones who hates you and want to harm you--as you would have them do unto you." 

The poor donkey. It's not his fault whom he belongs to. But you have to do more than stand him up. You have to bring him back. You have to go and talk civilly to that enemy. 

I am sitting here thinking of applications of that principle in my life. The closest I can come is my strained relationship with my ex-husband. Several times he and his wife have offered to help me. At the time I entered the nursing home, he needed a car. So my son suggested he use mine, maintain it, and all of that.  

It took me time to agree, but I decided I shouldn't let past resentment interfere with a plan that benefited both of us. 

Loving your enemies--maybe it's as simple as offering them a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment