Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Sunday, October 6, 2013

TAKE YOUR TIME (Isaiah 26)

We're in no hurry, God. We're content to linger in the path sign-posted with your decisions. Who you are and what you've done are all we'll ever want. (Isaiah 26:8, MSG)

Do you ever want God to hurry up? I know I do. You know, the kind of prayer that says, teach me patience, and I want it NOW.

I get impatient when I can see the road I'm on deadending in front of me and have no idea what direction God will send me in next. I especially get that way when the deadline for my final book contract approaches and I don't have another one--or even the hint of another one. But it works the same whenever I have to move or find a job or decide about a trip.

Living in a nursing home, I know that right now this is God's plan for me. When I wonder if I'll be here, in this same place, until I die? I try to avoid thinking about that possibility, but I kind of wish I had a hint about "what next."

Oh, to have the attitude Isaiah mentions in today's verse. To be content to live for today. To linger in this place and time where I know God has placed me. To accept the stoplight without wondering if or when it will turn green again.

How do I change from worrying about the future to living content, today? Change my focus. Today and tomorrow, praising God for who He is and thanking Him for what He does will keep my heart in the right place. When I remember how God has proven faithful in the past, I am reassured for the future. When I ponder His character, what makes Him act t he way He does, I know He will always do what is best for me.

I don't know what the future holds--but I know Who holds the future.

So way hurry? Linger on the path with God.

(P.S. There's a great song, I Know Who Holds Tomorrow by Ira Stanphill, but I can't due to copyright. If you want to, look it up. :) )

1 comment: