Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Monday, September 30, 2013

BLUE-COLLAR MESSIAH (Isaiah 11)

Each morning he'll pull on sturdy work clothes and boots, and build righteousness and faithfulness in the land. (Isaiah 11:5, MSG)

I want to know this Savior.

Isaiah 11 describes the day when the green shoot will come out of Jesse. Commentators agree that it refers to the Messiah, the Son of David. Reading his words makes me hungry for the day He will rule the earth.

Although the Messiah is a king--he is from the stump of Jesse, the Davidic line--he is a working-man's leader. Instead of suit coat and tie, he dons work clothes and boots. He doesn't only tell others what to do. He builds righteousness and faithfulness with His own hands.

His priorities focus not on the rich and the privileged but for the invisible. "He'll judge the needy by what is right, render decisions on earth's poor with justice." (Isaiah 11:3-4)

When I read, "He won't judge by appearances," I was reminded of Martin Luther King's famous 'I Have a Dream' speech. This Messiah will definitely judge us by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. He chooses the poor in spirit, those who are lost, the sinner and not the saint.

This man chose me. Not because I'm white, because I longed for perfection, because I'm smart. He didn't reject me because I'm overweight and self-centered. He chose me because of all the things I'm lacking, all the reasons why the world passes me by.

I love Him because He first loved me. I love Him because He knows me inside out and loves me anyway.

Of course this Messiah needs work boots. He is a carpenter, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment