Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Monday, August 12, 2013

Created to Worship


Psalm 84-86


How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts! My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God. Psalm 84:1-2

I can relate to David’s words—“longing, fainting for His courts”—“heart and flesh singing for joy to the living God.” Several years ago, when I was a member of a church worship team, we participated in a 24-hour worship service. Being part of the host church of a multi-church gathering, our group led for two hours at a time, alternating between sessions of prayer and other special music.

When I put all my strength, energy and creativity into praising God, I felt like I was doing what I was designed for. Sometimes I long to experience worship in that intensity again.  

Recently I attended a writers meeting. An artist/writer had us paint with watercolors, inspiring images and words. The Spirit met us there and I realized we were worshipping in art and writing. Again I had the feeling of being where I should be, doing what I should be doing.

As humans, we long for fulfillment. It is right and fulfilling for creatures to praise the Creator. He is good and worthy to be praised. “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!” (Psalm 84:11-12)

As we praise God for who He is, He speaks to us. His glory, His essence, flows through us as we worship, obey and trust Him. Forms of worship include music, writing, art, and poetry. In fact, with a heart and mind centered on Him, just about anything we do can be an act of worship.

“But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.” (John 4:23)

Let’s aim to worship Him in what we think, say, write and do.

 

Connie L. Peters has 30 years of experience in writing poetry, adult and children’s fiction and inspirational non-fiction. Currently she writes devotions for The Presidential Prayer Team and The Pagosa Sun. She also writes a poem a day on enthusiaticsoul.blogspot.com. Connie’s work has appeared in numerous publications including Focus on the Family, Bible Advocate and The Quiet Hour. She has served on the board of Southwest Christian Writers Association for the past 20 years. Connie lives in Cortez, CO where she and her husband host two adults with developmental disabilities. Connie and husband Loren have two grown children who live in Arizona.

1 comment: