Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Friday, April 19, 2013

GOD'S CALL, GOD'S TIME

I'm tempted to write about one of my favorite lines ("these sons of Zeruiah are too much for me.")
 But then I read an even better line. 'David proceeded with a longer stride, a larger embrace since the God-of-the-Angel-Armies was with him." (2 Samuel 5:10, MSG)

Lack of confidence isn't a word I would ever have used to describe David.  He had abundant faith in God and sprang to action whenever God's honor was challenged. When needed, he asked for God's guidance and obeyed. I never see any hesitation. Have you?

This verse suggests a different spin. Maybe all those times he held back on doing things like killing Saul in the cave were because. . . gasp. . . he wasn't entirely sure that he had earned the right to walk in God's call on his life?

I'm not saying that David should have killed Saul. His restraint is rightly held up as an example for the rest of us..

But I find it very human that like Abraham who didn't have the son of promise until he was one hundred, or Noah who built a boat for a century, God called David to be king a long time before he was ready.

As a writer, I am blessed that age can be an advantage. That's not true for a lot of occupations.

David also apparently realized he wasn't ready yet. When the time came, he moved into the role quickly. He walked with a longer stride and a larger embrace. Ready to do what God called him to do.

Lord, may I walk with a stride that matches Your calling and
presence in my life. May I embrace all You have called me to be.


2 comments: