Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

THE WIDOW'S MITE, TAKE TWO (Deuteronomy 16)

We all know the story of the Widow's Mite. Jesus and the disciples watched people putting money into the offering box, or however the money was collected. They must have also brought an offering when they arrived. Some people made a big show of how much they gave.

One poor widow arrived and gave two pennies, the smallest coins of the realm. Jesus said, "She gave more than everyone else, because she gave everything she had."

Her story sprang to mind when I read this verse from Deuteronomy 16:17: No one is to show up in the presence of God empty-handed; each man must bring as much as he can manage, giving generously in response to the blessings of God, your God.

The widow gave more than she could manage; she gave everything. It was more than generous; some would call it foolish.

But I bet she hardly felt the loss of the money. She felt so blessed by God, she was compelled to give everything she had. She knew the meaning of blessing and rejoicing in the Lord far beyond her daily circumstances.

Oh, Lord, make me like her--in my attitude and in my giving.

1 comment: