Regular nibbles from the Bible. . .come for a bite, leave with an appetite



May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. (Psalm 19:14, MSG)

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

ON PAROLE: SIN STOPPERS (Numbers 15)

Back on February 14, I wrote about sin served three ways, and the provision God made for deliberate, willful rebellion against God.

So today when I read that a person who sins defiantly must be kicked out of the community. Ostracized. Excommunicated, although that word isn't used. I was surprised.

Perhaps it's a matter of continuing in willful rebellion, choosing a different lifestyle than the one God gives in the law.

When a few verses later, I read about adding blue tassels to their garments, to remind them of God's commandments, my mind said "ahah! This is about practical ways to avoid temptation."  In God's words, "not get distracted  by everything you feel or see that seduces you into infidelities."

In fact, the instructions reminded me of rules for parolees from jail: Don't associate with former friends and criminals. Stay away from them. As God told the Israelites, remove them from your vicinity.

And how about those nifty ankle bracelets that some parolees have to wear? That's a visual clue to stay within the confines of the law.

Are there people who tempt me to sin? Should I stay away from them?  Do I need to use a rubber band to train my thoughts away from a sinful path? How about posting a Bible verse during the day? A necklace with a religious symbol? What are visual clues I can give myself to remain in God's will?

Let's join God's sin-stopper program, and accept His forgiveness when we fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment